Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Change is coming!

We are often told not to wish our life away. I am willing to make an exception given my anxious anticipation to return to Malawi on June 15th. Africa is a mission opportunity unlike any other. Robin and I have been on numerous mission trips but none of our past faith-growing mission experiences prepare you for Africa. To say that it is a roller coaster of emotions is an understatement of major proportions. One minute you are overwhelmed by the poverty, death and hopelessness of everything you see. The next minute you are overwhelmed by the strong faith and uplifting spirit of the people of Malawi. Everyone that goes on a mission trip experiences the same "wait a minute, I came here to give not to receive" emotions. For the AFUMC team going to Malawi those emotions will be exhilarating and exhausting at the same time. Exhilarating when we meet members of the Malawi UMC that work relentlessly, and with complete faith, to change their world for the better one small step at a time. Exhausting when we see the incomprehensible need that defines Malawi. To the family and friends of team members I say "be prepared". I learned very quickly with little (or no) prompting I could talk for 2 hours about my experiences in Malawi. This I know for certain - The lives of the team members, family and friends and the Ankeny First United Methodist Church as a whole are about to be changed forever. My charge to the team is simple - Open your hearts and minds to what lies before you. It is an opportunity of a lifetime. Be proud you stepped forward to say "Yes, I want to go to Malawi" when the easy answer would have been "Are you kidding? Me go to Africa?!" I have no doubt the team of 21 going to Malawi will return stronger and more passionate about their faith, with a greater understanding of the meaning of Matthew 28:16-20 and wanting to return to Malawi as soon as possible.

Peace,
Dennis White

No comments:

Post a Comment