Thursday, April 16, 2009

Why Malawi? God paved our way!

In January 2004, Connie and I were part of an AFUMC mission team to an orphanage in Chihuahua, Mexico. It wasn’t something that we had planned to do, but after hearing of the idea one Sunday, we felt God’s call and knew we were meant to be a part of this team. AFUMC parishioners supported the effort with gifts and financial support and team members participated in a variety of projects at the orphanage (I remember wheel barrowing a lot of fill for a construction site). However, we received much more that we gave to that orphanage. Even among such dire poverty, the presence of God was evidenced in so many ways, both little and awesome, that our own faith was strengthened.

Responding to God’s call, we have helped sponsor a child in Malawi for several years. Through information provided by the sponsorship agency we became acutely aware of the many hardships facing the population of this country. Even though Malawi has a very high mortality rate, we have been privileged to see, through pictures, Wonga grow from a young child into a healthy teenager and hope there is a promising future for him.

Last summer our connection to the African continent grew when we accepted an invitation to serve as a host family for two adult women from Nigeria. Both held “professional” positions in their country, but shopping excursions to our local Goodwill were among the highlights of their stay with us. As a frequent Goodwill shopper myself, I was able to point out the real bargains but we were again reminded that we Americans take so much for granted. One of the women was married last fall and e-mailed us numerous pictures of both her Christian and traditional wedding ceremonies.

So, when Pastor Mike first brought up the Malawi mission trip, both of us were immediately interested. However, with Connie looking ahead to surgery this past January and unable to travel that far, we decided to serve as part of the support group here at home. When one of the original team had to back out for medical reasons, Connie and I agreed that I would take his place. Now I’m looking forward to meeting the people of Malawi, helping them in whatever way I can and to share in their Christian enthusiasm. Again, I’m sure that I will receive far more than I will be giving. And, I’ve I can actually meet Wonga – what a blessing!

Arlyn Weieneth

No comments:

Post a Comment