Tuesday, April 14, 2009

It's time to change the world a little, in whatever way that may be.

When I first heard about this mission trip to Malawi I was a little intrigued, thought I'd go to the meeting just to check it out, not really sure whether I thought this was something I'd even want to do, having never been on a true "mission trip" before. I went to the first meeting in May and there was an overwhelming response of interested people. I went to the next meeting and Pastor Mike made the comment that we should really search our hearts to see if this was something we felt "called to do." I was really trying to discern what made me decide to even go to the meeting, was I "qualified" to go, was there some way I felt I could contribute, was I really the right person with so many people interested, many of whom had been on mission trips before and more seasoned and experienced and worthy than I. Maybe I shouldn't take up a spot if someone else really wanted to go.

In June I had pretty much thought maybe I wasn't the right person; the timing wasn't right; I have an elderly father-in-law with some health issues; this seems like a lot of money to be spending on "just me." Little did I realize I was finding all kinds of what I thought were "valid excuses" for not going.

As so often happens, God began putting people in my life who were nudging me to take the plunge, so to speak, and commit to going. Then I started reading a book written by John Ortberg entitled "When the Game is Over, it All Goes Back in the Box." Some of the author's comments seemed to jump right off the page and felt to me as if God was talking to me personally.

The author's comment on page 142 stated: "If there is a challenge in front of you, a course of action that could cause you to grow and that would be helpful to people around you, but you find yourself scared about it, there's a real good chance that God is in that challenge."

Another: "If you want a sense of mission to burn brightly in you, spend time feeding your divine discontent. If your mission involves helping the poor, spend time around those in poverty. Allow your emotions to become deeply engaged, and carry with you that fire that things must change."

Page 130: "When the jar that is life gets too full of have-tos, I find myself with little time for people. I know that every human life is a miracle. I want to notice people who are hurting. I want to notice the poor. I want to serve & learn from people of different cultures and persons of different colors. I want a compassionate heart. But that cannot happen if my life is already filled with too many have-tos."

"What ledge is God asking you to jump off now?"

"Every time someone says yes to God, the world changes a little bit." (One of my favorites!)

"Your mission starts where you are; not where you think you should be."

Each one of these statements made me really take a look at all my so-called excuses. I realized I had become complacent in my faith the last few years. I was filled with so many have-tos and involved with my family's needs that I hadn't really taken time to help those who were truly "in need." I hadn't found a mission I felt "on fire" for. When Mike said he wanted a commitment at our July meeting, I had decided if there was room for one more person, I would take it. Life will always be busy, there will always be excuses, but if I were to wait for the "perfect time," a lot of time would be wasted.

My mission starts now. It's time to change the world a little, in whatever way that may be, with God's help -- and blessing.

Beth Madison

No comments:

Post a Comment