Sunday, April 19, 2009

We Come This Far By Faith

I have found myself procrastinating over writng this blog as anyone who knows me will tell you that I am much more of a talker than a writer!

The other reason that it has taken me so long to get to this is because I am not sure how to answer the question; "Why am I going to Malawi"? It is difficult to articulate the deep seated necessity I feel in doing this. I obviously want to learn from the people of this impoverished country and help in any small way that I can. Being African American , I also want to sense that bit of ancestry and history that makes up this race of people.

However, these reasons do not near describe the yearning and desire I feel to experience something so much bigger than myself.

This trip does not come without some risk for me. Not only physically due to a significant history of health problems- but also spiritually and emotionally as the vulnerability one must show to truly experience this amazing group of people that are growing in their faith as they are learning to love the Lord.

There is a song we used to sing in my home church that says "We come this far by faith, leaning on the Lord. Trusting in his holy word, you know he has never failed me yet. Can't turn around, we come this far by faith".

As I have watched the Malawi Team come together, this song frequently runs through my mind. We have started to bond and truly have become a "team". And it is faith that has brought us this far. We can't turn around and will continue to move forward on this amazing journey in faith.

As we experience the highs and lows, the joys and sadness that this trip will bring, we will stay focused on the fact that "he has never failed us yet".

Arlina Pearce

No comments:

Post a Comment