Monday, April 6, 2009

If not me, then who?

For those of us who are not naturally risk-takers, mission trips offer the hidden benefit of allowing us to try experiences outside our comfort zone. Would I move to a reservation, to a storm-struck coast, to an impoverished, 3rd-world country? Not as long as my family needs me here to stay connected and provide a sense of continuity in our family. BUT, under the guise of helping others, I sense that mission trips allow us to step over a line of security under the guise of altuism.

That may have actually been my motivation for the first mission trip taken to Crow Creek Indian Reservation. That, with a bit of curiosity. By the end of that trip, those motives were out the proverbial window. The next two trips deepened a sense of commitment that each person has to reach out to anyone in need in order to feel completely human; to experience a full range of emotions; and to help coalesce a person's feelings and logic with their spirituality. In other words, if I am to profess to be a Christian, following not only Christ'st teachings, but His examples, we each have to find a way to do that.

That way will be different for each person: it may be music; it may be teaching children; it may be calling on our shut-ins; it may be growing or cooking food for the homeless. But, for a few of us, extreme action is necessary to feel we are really contributing. I am a very physical person, so very physical activities give me the most satisfaction and confirmation that I am truly helping.

Thank Heaven there are a few of us who are touched in this way. Otherwise, throughout history, countless thousands would still be suffering or have died--unnoticed by those of us in the best position to help. Those of us with the resources and physical endurance to help. If I don't go, who will? If I do not step forward, cross that line, who will?

Twenty-two of us (less than 1% of our membership) feel this pull for some Godly reason yet to be revealed. What has amazed me is the depth of feeling for this mission from many who are not going. You will be blessed many times over. I wish I could express myself as well as Dennis and Mike can. My plan is to diary daily on the trip, as we did in Pearlington. Hopefully, this willl help me be more aware of details easily missed--names, kindnesses, comments, and most of all the deep faith we have heard about. I want that experience.

1 comment: