Saturday, April 18, 2009

From Oregon, to Iowa, to Malawi...

I’m originally from Oregon. A little over a year and a half ago I was visiting Max and her family. We happened to be at Faith Chapel when Mike mentioned a mission trip to Malawi. At first I thought that it sounded like a good experience but at the time I didn’t think it would be realistic. Little did I know what God had planned.
I went back home for several months not giving much thought to Malawi. My life was going well in Oregon. I had a perfect job as a kitchen manager, I was close to family and contempt with how my life was going. All of the sudden, I felt a strong urge to move to Ankeny. This was not an easy transition by any means. I ended up having to take a menial job, getting a significant decrease in pay. Unfortunately, I did not have any transportation which meant walking to and from work in negative temperatures. I also dealt with depression, missing my strong family connection. I had a hard time adjusting to my new life and at many points considered going back home. God gave me the strength to find the positive in a bad situation. This is the point in my life where I grew in my faith.
I joined a few small groups, Alpha being one, which influenced my life dramatically. God was making it known to me that this mission trip was something I should pursue. I noticed that people have taken a strong interest in my decision to be apart of this mission trip through their generous donations and support. This reassured me that God was at work in my life for the good of others. During the struggles I believe that God has been mentally and spiritually preparing me for this mission trip to Malawi. We’ll see what the Lord has in store for me next...

~Sarah Morgan

1 comment:

  1. You will be in my prayers - have a safe trip and a wonderful time on this God given mission.

    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete