Tuesday, April 21, 2009

God's Call

About a year ago, early 2008, there was a notice in the church bulletin announcing plans for a mission trip to Malawi, Africa.  Having never been on a mission trip or overseas, this really caught my attention.  My wife, Sandra and I attended the first meeting along with about 50 others, listened to Pastor Mike Gudka and Dennis and Robin White explain the tentative plans for the trip and answer questions.  Well, many meetings, questions, answers, immunizations, fundraisers, fundraisers, fundraisers, and one year later, 21 of us are ready to start packing.  Needless to say, this past year has been an experience of its' own, creating a TEAM ready to start new relationships nearly halfway around the world.

Most of the team only has a vague idea of what we are going to do once we get there, but all want to help in someway.  With an agricultural background, growing up on a farm and working in farm machinery manufacturing, I hope to see how the "farming community" works in Malawi.

The purpose of participating in this trip is to help however I can in a country that has little.  I also want to experience the tremendous faith and Christian life exemplified in Malawi.  I know God is calling me to this mission.

In God's Service,
Jim Crabb

1 comment:

  1. Jim - You will have a wonderful time on your trip. I hope you will be able to spend some time with Lester Mhone, the Agricultural PIM for Malawi. He is a neat guy. Also, read all you can about permaculture. You may want to check out the website neverendingfood.org. We visited their place while we were in Malawi in February. Permaculture may be the short-term bridge needed to provide food security for the country.

    ReplyDelete